Monday, April 6, 2009

Scone Recipe

Now that conference is over and we've been fully fed to the brim both spiritually AND physically, I thought I'd share a little recipe with you. It's my scone recipe and I make them each conference weekend. I got the base of the recipe from Betty Crocker, but I've changed the recipe somewhat from the original (to make it yummier!)

Ingredients:
1 3/4 c. flour
3 T. sugar
2 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/3 c. butter/margarine
1 egg
1/2 c. dried cranberries
1/2 c. chopped nuts
1/2 T. shredded orange peel
2 t. pumpkin pie spice
1/4 c. shredded apple
4 T. milk

Mix dry ingredients and orange zest, sift together. Cut in butter/margarine (just as if you're making pie crust). Add cranberries, nuts, and apple - mix together. Then add egg and milk (just enough milk so dough leaves the sides of the bowl). Turn over onto a floured surface, cover with flour and knead 10 times. Shape dough into a patted-flat round on an ungreased pan. Cut into wedges with a knife. Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes (give or take) until golden brown. Eat with butter & honey or jam. YUM!

This can be done without the apple, I've used lemon peel instead of orange & topped with a lemon glaze, you can omit the nuts or cranberries, substitute raisins, poppy seeds, shredded carrot, or whatever you'd like! Happy baking!

No comments:

Followers